1956 the City of Summerville paid the Georgia Highway department the
grand sum of $1 to install curbing and guttering along Commerce Street
and parts of Rome Boulevard and West Washington Street. Most of the
storm sewers, curbs, and gutters had already been completed. The total
cost of the project was in excess of $100,000 (over $850,000 in today's
dollars), paid by Georgia taxpayers.
The photograph above looks
northward along the east side of Commerce Street. In the
distance, Jackson Drug Company and the Tooga Theater sign are visible.
State Restaurant once operated where Morris Jewelers is currently
located on the east side of Commerce Street. Bricks were being
used to replace the worn grass around the parking meters.
view of West Washington Street looking northwest shows the Trade Wind
Furniture Company. The sign reads "Clean Used Furniture, Buy Sell
Trade, Easy Terms, Antiques."
photograph illustrates a problem with the storm sewer on the east side
of Commerce Street across from McGinnis Drug Store. (Despite
making your editor very hungry, the Lance snack truck was not cropped
out of the picture.)
One reason given for removing the trees along Commerce Street was the leaves which invariably clogged the storm sewers.
Photographs by T. Emmett Nunn. Courtesy of Chattooga Library.
Information about the 1956 sidewalk improvements was from the Summerville News.