Many people recall Jackson Chevrolet-Oldsmobile on North Commerce Street in Summerville, but you have to go waaay back to remember the first occupants of the large brick showroom and service department.
According to Robert Baker's book, Chattooga: The Story of a County and Its People, in 1915 Chevrolet cars became available in the county. Several people were involved in owning the local franchise through the decades including members of the Taylor, Selman, and McWhorter families. In 1952, the franchise was sold to Roy and B.L. Davis of Calhoun and became Davis Brothers Motor Company.
The new owners built the building shown above in 1953, but sold the business and building the next year to A.E. Jackson of Rome and his sons, Alton and Harold. The Jacksons operated the business for 30 years before selling it to Jimmy Black of Alabama. The Chevrolet dealership eventually moved to a location north of Summerville, but later closed.
According to Joseph Jackson, son of Harold Jackson, the photographs you see on this page were taken to market the dealership and building for sale. Joseph Jackson owns and operates Jackson Auto Sales in what was once a vacant lot as shown above right.
Due to the widening of Highway 27 over the years, the lot in front of the showroom is too narrow to park cars in the manner shown above.
A lone Oldsmobile sits on the lot to the left.
A clean service department was part of Davis Brothers Motor Company. The bay doors of another service establishment are visible across North Commerce Street.
Joseph Jackson also shared a newspaper ad from 1960 which included the names of the staff of Jackson Chevrolet:
A.E. Jackson, President
Harold Jackson, Vice President
Alton Jackson, Secretary and Treasurer
Bobbie Jean Fincher, Bookkeeper
Bonita Langford, Bookkeeper
Duke Espy, Salesman
Millard Rutherford, Salesman
Vernon Hayes, Mechanic
Martin Gary, Body Shop
Johnnie Weems, Mechanic
Jesse Tucker, Mechanic
Grady Allen, Porter
Robert L. Reece, Body Shop
Lee Gilbert, Mechanic,
Millard Bearden, Body Shop
Wilson Hendrix, Shop Foreman
Hobson Cavin, Salesman
Thanks to Joseph Jackson for providing these photographs of Davis Brothers Motor Company, the predecessor of Jackson Chevrolet.
Return to Business & Industry
Copyright 2012 Greg W. McCollum. All rights reserved.