The First Baptist Church of Summerville began in the 1840s without a building for worship, but eventually settled into one on Congress Street. In 1903, a new church building was completed on Georgia Avenue.
One Sunday morning in July 1937, the church was totally destroyed by fire. Afterward, the congregation began meeting at the Summerville High School auditorium until a new building could be erected.
The present church was built in stages, but the main sanctuary was dedicated in September 1938. Building committee members were Dr. O.A. Selman, R.A. Harlow, J.R. Jackson, Jr., and N.S. Rich.
Thanks to John Jackson for providing the pamphlet, Summerville First Baptist Church 1848-1998, from which the information and photographs were taken.
2011 Greg W. McCollum. All rights reserved.