According to Robert Baker's history of Chattooga County, the Menlo Mineral Springs Hotel was built on Shinbone Ridge, just west of Menlo.
It opened in July 1891 and housed tourists interested in the curative powers of the springs. In 1910, the Ledbetter Brothers from Rome purchased the hotel and expanded it to accommodate 35 guests. The hotel was destroyed by fire in 1918.
The brochure shown below was part of the marketing campaign for the springs.
Photographs and brochure courtesy of Gene Espy.
Return to Business & Industry
Copyright 2012 Greg W. McCollum. All rights reserved.