Pleasant Grove Church of Christ is the oldest congregation in the
state of Georgia. It began in Walker County
on May 8, 1848 in the Waterville community. The congregation was
actually called the church of Christ at Philadelphia. The original
church record states, "On the 8th day of May in the year of our Lord
1848 the church of Christ at Philadelphia in Walker County, Georgia was
constituted on the Bible alone as the rule of faith and practice."
Reece Jones of Cleveland, Tennessee was the first minister at
Philadelphia. Charter members of the congregation were: Bryan S.
Rutledge, William Painter, Jack Clements (a slave), William J. Cathey,
George Hall Sr., Joseph Hall, James Hall, Daniel Hall, George Hall,
Jr., George W. Clements and A. Clements. The following men served as
ministers after Reece Jones: Gilbert Randolph, Gillum Randolph, G.
Witherspoon, George W. Bacon, James Love and Joseph Wheeler.
membership at Philadelphia grew to near 200 members before the
congregation moved in 1884 to the present site in Chattooga County.
The land was deeded
on September 26, 1884 and the congregation was now called Pleasant
Grove Church of Christ.
The following men signed as trustees to the deed:
James E. Hall, J. M. Hall, J. L. Hammond, J.T. Hendrix, F.G. Little,
and R.T. Ramey. The deed was officially recorded in Deed Book K, page
141 at the office of the Clerk of Superior Court in Chattooga County on
November 13, 1884 and signed by George D. Hollis, Superior Court Clerk.
The church building is located on Old Hwy 27 about one mile north of
The following men served as ministers or held gospel meetings between
1884 and 1942: Nathan W. Smith, Charlie Jones, G.B. Stone, J.K.
Walling, W.T. Kidwell, A.B. Lipscomb, David Buck, Malcom Hearn, R.N.
Moody, N.J. Tumlin, James A. Perdue, A.J. Avery, W.H. Bird, J.D. Jones,
Jr., J.A. Setliff, T.B. Larimore, W.C. Phillips, Gardner S. Hall, Jack
McElroy, John T. Smithson Jr., W. Fanning, Sewell Hall, S.H. Hall,
James Morton, Robert Reavis and Charles Holder.
The building that was built in 1884 was remodeled in 1942. A brick
veneer was applied to the original building. A new building could not
be built because of World War II. The elders of the congregation in
1942 were: F.A. Justice and J.H. Hendrix.
The following men served as
ministers between 1942 and 1966: Sam M. Connally (1944-1950), Robert
Atnip (1950's), Conrad Bates (1950's), Clark Sosebee (1955-1956), Joe
Miller (1950's), Pete Mattis (1950's), Eugene Pitts (1950's), Homer A.
Daniel (1958-1960), Robert W. (Bob) Gray (1960-1962) and J. Farris
The Pleasant Grove Church of Christ celebrated its Centennial (100 year
anniversary) on Sunday, May 9, 1948, with activities for all day. Sam
M. Connally, the regular minister, preached in the morning on the
subject of "Mother", since it was Mother's Day. Flavil Hall spoke to
the congregation in the afternoon on the history of the church.
a new building was erected which included an educational wing for
classes, red brick, and a white steeple.
J. Farris Baird, the regular minister, helped design the new building
in 1966. In April 1969, J. Farris Baird was the minister and the
following men served as elders: Glenn Hendrix and Earl Tinney. The
following men served as deacons: Fred Hall, Thomas Henderson and Homer
The following men served as ministers from 1966 to the present: J.
Farris Baird (1962-1969), J. Frank Yates (1969-1971), Beryl Bodenham
(1971), George C. Kreig (1972), Herman E. Lenderman (1972-1974), J.
Farris Baird (1975-1982) and Hugh Glaze (1982-Present).
Area wide tent meetings were popular in years past. V.P. Black held two
tent meetings in August 1965 and again in June 1968. Basil Overton held
a tent meeting at the Trion Triangle Shopping Center in October 1987.
The most recent tent meeting was in September 1990 by James W. Boyd.
The congregation celebrated "Homecoming" on May 7, 2006,
marking the 158th anniversary of Pleasant Grove Church of Christ.
Robert W. (Bob) Gray, former minister at Pleasant Grove, spoke to the
congregation that morning and Grant Davison spoke that evening.
As of November 2013:
The elders are Hugh Glaze, Fred Hall, and Dan Logan.
The deacons are Jeff Duncan, Adam Morgan, Jerry Reaves, and Tim York.
The minister is Hugh Glaze, who has been serving the congregation since
Adam Morgan directs the singing.
Brad Hayes graduated from Trion High School in 1986, where he played
baseball and football. After a distinguished career in Education, Brad
became a full-time minister at Lookout Hall Church of Christ in
Chattooga County. He also serves as Sports Editor and Historian for the
Trion Facts, and as Vice President of Publicity for the Chattooga
County Historical Society. He and his wife, Judy, have two sons, Luke
and Jake. Brad kindly allowed Chattooga Photo History to reprint this
history and photographs which appear on the church website.